Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Pappy Protection

Okay, I'm faced with a guy dilemma. After a spell of recuperation following last weekend's injury, Pappy is fired up. He obviously thinks he's ready to go, and I think he'll be well-healed and completely manic by this weekend. But I wince at the prospect of the dog park because I keep visualizing another dog's claw getting caught in the wound-- owww. Plus he's got a shaved patch on his side which is completely exposed to cold weather and the mouthing and pawing of play.

He needs protection. So here I am...a guy... contemplating buying clothing for my dog. Though we are talking protective clothing, it's still doggy clothing. People continue to tease Truman for showing up at the dog park the first time in a sweater, and I know he must hate that.

In trying to minimize the frills and stay functional, I researched body armor for dogs. Apparently it is available, but $1045 is a little out of my price range. They have these nifty little Neoprene vests with Kevlar for hunting dogs-- Kevlar and camouflage are a great combo. But, from my limited experience getting into diving suits, the only thing I can think of worse than trying to put Neoprene on a dog is trying to get it on a cat. Pappy would look pretty tough if I put him into a Jason Campbell football jersey, but I doubt the shoulder pads would fit.

Pappy's Got A Brand New CoatOn the walk home from the subway we stopped in the pet store and picked up a sturdy, weatherproof dog coat with a reflective stripe. Nobody better laugh, because it's really very practical. And Pappy looks very handsome in red. What does that make him, a summer?

11 comments:

Gus said...

Dear Pappy:
My sister E.Rabbit made me a sweater. I like it. Muzzer has the pattern, do you want it?

Gussie
ps. It is a very masculine blue turtleneck!

3dogcache said...

I think Pappy's gear is FUCHSIA (a Bright purplish-red color (dictionary.com)) to be precise. I guess we could generalize and say red...if we were a GUY. But despite the color, Pappy does indeed look very cute...oops, I mean tough and rugged and of course, it is a "functional" piece of clothing.

3dogs send their good wishes

Priscilla said...

Very dapper Pappy, very dapper indeed!

Nat said...

Gus,
Thanks for the offer of a pattern, but in our house we fix hems with staples and adhesive tape. In our hands the pattern would be wasted.

3dog,
The coat is decidedly red. In guyspeak there are only four colors-- red, green, blue, and that fruity color.

Priscilla,
Thanks. He actually seems quite proud and comfortable when wearing the coat. Kind of worrysome that he's such a dandy.

Jojo's Mom said...

Jack promises not to laugh, but we make no claims about Jojo, who's kinda mean

Anonymous said...

Pappy, I showed your picture to my girlfriends and we all agree that you look very handsome in your new outdoor gear. Indeed, I think People Magazine made a terrible mistake by naming George Clooney as Sexiest Man Alive.

xoxo - Bella

Nat said...

Well, Jojo's Mom, we all know how Pappy will handle Jojo-- by avoiding her completely.

Bella,
Thanks for recognizing Pappy's magnificence. He'll always keep his lean good looks, whereas George was looking a little doughy in Syriana. And did you see that promo picture of Brad for Babel? Pappy's going to eat their lunch.

Buster the Wired Fox Terror said...

That looks pink to me. A pink version of Emma Peele.

Bussie Kissies
Buster

Tin Tin Blogdog said...

Hmmmmm, red. Very becoming.

Could spell danger to the wrong gang.

May be a good thing on a dog.

Except it'll be a variation on grey to other dogs. But quite pleasing to humans.

And yeah, my ma relates to your remark about neoprene. Think diving South Australia. Think 12 degree water in winter. Think 7mm. Uh huh. Yep. Michelin gal comes to mind.

Chow for now,

Tin Tin xo

Tin Tin Blogdog said...

PS and thanks so much for mentioning my smelly blogplace in dispatches on wikiFido....all went towards getting me nominated for Dog Blog of the Week.

Chow, Tin Tin xo

Nat said...

Buster my friend, I promise you it's not pink-- the lighting was just funny because I didn't adjust the white balance. The coat is definitely a manly racecar red.

Tin Tin, Pappy's whole life is a drawn out West Side Story, leaving out the killing part. Congrats again on the Wikifido thing.