Saturday, November 25, 2006

Cousin Polly

Polly, 11/24/2006Pappy's dog-cousin, Polly, is here for a visit over the Thanksgiving holidays along with my Aunt. She's a wee long-haired Dachshund around two years old. Pappy and Polly get along well, given that he doesn't seem to have quite decided whether she is really a dog. When wrestling, Pappy will come bounding up to her and plant a paw on her back, and then... that's it. Polly's got no follow-up move. She's a lap rug. Other than that, they lick each other and he carefully puts her head in his mouth.

For a long time Polly was flat-out terrified of me. The first time I met her was when I had unexpectedly stopped by my Aunt's house to pick up a key when my Aunt wasn't home, and that must have traumatized her. For the next months, she would shake and cower when I was anywhere near. Then we got Pappy, and we brought our bumptious dog around to meet Polly-- and she finally had something to be more afraid of than me. Actually, I think she kind of idolizes her dog-cousin. As for me, she now wags her tail fiercely and likes me to pet her, but she will never take her eyes off me for a second. She's been very good this visit, given that she's just spent two days in the house of the horrifying ogre.

5 comments:

Gus said...

Pappy is a true gentleman. Travis has much the same reaction to Teka, except that going into our second month together, his huge dog patience is beginning to wear thin!

OOOOH, I can't wait to see what he finally does to her.

Gussie

Nat said...

Well, I'm afraid the adventure ended with a whimper when we dropped my Aunt off this afternoon. No fireworks between Pappy and Polly. Polly did find a position of power under the bed, where she was well situated to take jabs at Pappy when he tried to crawl under. A good time was had by all.

Anonymous said...

I love Pappy! If you guys ever make it to SF Bay area, you are invited to walk with my dogs. We can show you parks that will keep Pappy smiling for years.

Tin Tin Blogdog said...

Hee hee hee.

Maybe Polly is trying to figure out whether to take you on or to give in gracefully and allow Pappy to swallow her whole.

After all, she's tried both options.

Now the jury is out.

Chow for now,

Tin Tin xo

Nat said...

Debra, Love your site, and it looks like Pappy would like a visit. Can't see putting him on a plane, but maybe we'll pack up the car for a cross-country excursion one of these days.

Tin Tin, When Polly and I get together it is definitely strange to see. I think she loves me and wants to have my puppies. I guess a cross-country drive won't work to get to you guys.