Friday, November 03, 2006

Deja Vu, All Over Again


When I was a younger fella, strangers would sometimes walk up to me out of the blue and say -- "I think I know your cousin in Topeka" -- when, to my knowledge, I've got no cousin in Topeka. I always attributed this to the fact that I am somewhat distinctive looking. You take a typical person and you see someone similar, and... no big deal. But, you find the twin for someone more idiosyncratic in appearance and, Shazam, they must have been separated at birth.

This type of epiphany happened for Becky at Jell-o Universe today when she happened across Pappy's site. She has a pooch, Maggie (no not that Maggie), who could be said to be infringing on Pappy's Unconventionally Good Looking® trademark. She's much better groomed than the Papster, but let those brow hairs grow and she definitely has the same charm and charisma in photos. Becky got so excited she had put down The Grapes of Wrath, turn off The Beatles, and write a blog entry documenting the miracle.

Now if she'll just tell me what kind of dogs we have...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

serendipity...who would of thought there was a papster look-a-like with the name of Mags.

Becky said...

honestly, i have no idea if they even ARE a breed. when people ask me what Maggie is, i just say she's a "black dog."

she was actually on sale at the pet store when i got her, and they were promoting her as a "german shepherd/akita mix," and I totally bought into it when she was a puppy because her tail flipped all the way up on her back. but now it's just kind of curly, like pappy's.

depending on the day, i think there's shepherd, sheepdog, and terrier in her. but my girl weighs about 65 pounds, so she's like the super-sized version of pappy.

Becky said...

and yes, when she hasn't been put through the torture of grooming, she looks exactly like pappy, beard and brows and all.

Nat said...

From photos, her coat looks a little furrier than Pappy. No doubt about it, he's got hair and not much of it-- just like me. Give him a bath, and he's dry in five minutes.