Happy Thanksgiving! And, for those of you outside the US, have a great day at the office!
These are the things I am thankful about with Pappy:
- That he's naturally good despite our lousy training regimen. It makes me think I have control of animals through pure force of will-- call me Beastmaster.
- That he's so fond of the manly art of ball retrieving. I grew up chucking rocks at stuff, and throwing things around seems like a good guy-bonding activity. It lets me know he's no sissy.
- That he doesn't get into cabinets, trashcans, counter tops, or general mischief when we are at work. I know that crates are wonderful and natural and not the least bit like a prison cell, but I'm glad we don't have to use one.
- That he's a bizarre combination of graceful beast and gangly bag-of-bones. When he stops to sniff something, his hip is pointing the wrong way while his elbow and shoulder look dislocated. Then he'll just pop up and prance away like a Lipizzaner Stallion.
- That he groans when he's lying around and wants attention. Apart from being hilarious, it lets me know that Pappy is the right name for him.
- That his hair is so perfect. No brushing, no shedding, and always ready for a photo op.
- That we found him.
- That he would rather be with us than anybody else.