Thursday, November 30, 2006

My Race Is Run

Woohoo! We're there! 40 posts in 30 consecutive days. For those of you who weren't aware, I've been participating in National Blog Posting Month (NaBloPoMo) during November. I stopped mentioning this a while back lest I jinx myself. Too easy to imagine saying how well it was all going, then total blogger's block sets in.

Looking back over the posts, it was an eventful month, so now it's time for a long, boring, retrospective post. These are my thoughts:

  • When I look back, I am amazed at how much happened this month. It seems like a long time since those first posts. Posting frequently is like walking rather than driving; I see a lot more, and time moves slowly.
  • In browsing the sites, I saw a lot of participants bothered by the forced act of posting each day diluting the value of their insights. I often wondered whether I was getting tedious and repetitive. My wife reassured me that there were a few unmemorable posts, but the quality was good overall.
  • As mentioned before, I came across some participants' sites that had been closed off from public access. One of these left a message that she had found herself doing too much self-editing because of the influx of new and unfamiliar visitors. I did get a lot more traffic, and I definitely take a lot fewer risks when I am less sure about my audience.
  • I kind of hated posting immediately after Crusher's tribute. That deserved a few days of attention.
  • Ironically, I found I was writing much longer postings when working on a tighter schedule. I'm a fan of brevity, and it takes time to whittle things down and still get your point across.
  • I never felt that I was at a total loss for subject matter-- in fact I still have a couple of topics in the can. Of course, this just shows the depths of my lunatic obsession with my dog.
  • Once I had started, I was confident I'd finish. I'm pretty compulsive (for example... the movies).

Thanks to everybody for your visits and support. I notice some NaBloPoMo participants are talking about taking a vacation from blogging after this slog. I don't plan on a break, but going forward I'd have to say that I am going to take it a bit slower.

6 comments:

Charlie - The Big Dog said...

Hi,

Congratulations! You Made It!

Chuckles

P.S - Sorry, I made a mess in the first comment. Stupid little buttons on this keyboard. Why dont they make Paw-Boards?

Tin Tin Blogdog said...

Pappy & Pappy's Fella: well done for headbutting that challenge.

And no, the quality did not suffer through increased quantity. But remember your wife is always right anyway.

I find it hard enough to keep the twice a week dogposting happening. Not that there isn't enough fodder (yum) amd groovy photos of me me me...but the ma seems to have other distractions.

Blogging is an addiction though.

"Hello, my name is Tin Tin, and I'm a blogaholic."

Anyway.

Congrats again.

Chow for now,

Tin Tin xo

Buster the Wired Fox Terror said...

I raise my bowl of kibble in a toast.

Bussie Kissies
Buster

3dogcache said...

Congratulations Paps and PF on completing your 30 days AND for your successful movie. Don't forget the little dogs who got you there!! 3dogs

Gus said...

Yes, congratulations on finishing the month, and we hope you don't taper off too quickly. Like other addictions, it is better to cut back slowly.

gus

Nat said...

Thanks Charlie, Tin Tin.

Buster, you were there all the way, and 3dog was there most of the way.

Gus, I think you have a point with that addiction thing... I've already got ideas for the next few days. Must... force... myself... to... slow... down.