We are now enforcing the checklist anytime Pappy comes in from our back-yard-turned-mud-pit:
- Has it rained in the past two days?
- Is it morning, and was there a heavy dew?
- Was Pappy running around vigorously?
- Was he tromping around the back beds?
- Is he hiding a muddy ball under that moustache?
If the answer to any of these questions is yes, out comes the terrible towel for a thorough Pappy footrub and wipedown. This is intended to protect the light beige (ecru, really) berber carpeting that seemed like such a great choice before we had a dog. Sadly, the checklist failed us the other night. Our dinner guest found the wacky pawprints all over the living room carpet to be a charming view into our domestic life, but my wife was doing a slow burn.