Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Pennies from Heaven

As Pappy and I were wrapping up our morning walk and headed towards home I heard a rustle high up in the branches of a huge oak followed by falling debris. When the debris resoundingly struck the tarmac more than 40 feet below, it started skittering around before resolving itself into two squirrels. One of them tore off, but, as a slowly strangling Pappy and I approached, the other just started racing in circles. I suspect he wasn't entirely well, but he would have been substantially less well if I had let Pappy any closer.

When I told my wife this story, she said she had wondered why Pappy was later sitting in the back yard staring up into the trees. I guess he figures the squirrels are finally ripe.

10 comments:

William Tell said...

Pappy, maybe if you grab that tree and give it a good shake...

William Tell

Nat said...

Thump, thump, thump, thump. Aerial bombardment.

Gus said...

Wowie: Mad Squirrels. Tell IVY PAWS now.

I will fly in to assist if needed
gussie

Jojo's Mom said...

Between the rain this morning, the sidewalk littered with leaves and Jack straining at the bit to catch a squirrel, it's a wonder I'm not sporting a knee injury myself. Missed seeing you guys last weekend, will you be around this weekend. Hopefully, I'll have news to share that Max, the dog, has a human baby brother.

Nat said...

Had a Boston wedding last weekend, but should be back at the park this weekend. Think of it, Max with his own little boy.

Anonymous said...

Nat, thanks for sharing your thoughts on my post. You brought up some important points.

Oh, and by my Graidy's behavior, I guess he thinks the squirrels are ripe too! :)

Maxit said...

I just found your blog and am loving it. Max just discovered geese flying overhead. It has taken his little puppy mind off squirrels for a minute

Charlie said...

Mmmmm... ripe squirrels! Actually, Charlie doesn't seem to see squirrels, but maybe if they fell out of the tree at his feet...
- Charlie

Jackson's J1 and J2 said...

Ripe squirrels? Manna from heaven! J x

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog (suggested by Cedarfield). My pup has permanent neck strain from walking with his eyes to the skies watching for moving squirrel sign. I (and my poor shoulder) wait for heavy winter and the squirrel hibernation season (if there is such a thing.

RRR