In a tag-team matchup, I was simultaneously tagged by Tierre (a.k.a. Ty-ree) to disclose seven things about myself, and Ferndoggle to find a celebrity lookalike for Pappy.
For Tierre's challenge, rather than resort to Pappy as the subject I will talk about myself for a change:
- I didn't know until yesterday that I was born during the Eisenhower presidency. I had blindly assumed I was a JFK baby, but he hadn't even been elected yet.
- I am decidedly monolingual, but can puzzle out menus in several languages. Especially when there are English subtitles.
- I went through school as an art major, and then figured out that I hated teaching and hadn't abandoned middle-class aspirations. I switched rails and became a computer geek-- there's an improvement.
- If you count seven continents, I've visited five. I'd still like to get to Australia, but Antarctica isn't high on my list of vacation destinations.
- Though I'm not pining for Antarctica, my favorite reading materials are harrowing tales of extreme deprivation like the Shackleton expedition and Scott's failed push for the South Pole. Makes my hard times at their worst seem pretty darned cushy.
- I was born in Washington, DC in a hospital that has been converted into condos. My childhood church from pre-heathen days was torn down for a new subdivision, and my high school building was sold. Property values are relentlessly erasing my past.
- My lovely wife and I have been married 14 years today. And blah blah couldn't be done, why yadda yadda yadda like yesterday.
As for Ferndoggle's challenge to find Pappy's celebrity lookalike, I would have to say the Swedish Chef from the Muppets if he was real (I hope I didn't burst anyone's bubble). From the realm of living beings I was tempted by Jack Elam's eyebrows, but picked Adrian Brody for the sensitive, vulnerable look and the schnoz.