Friday, April 27, 2007

The Most Wonderful Sneezin' of Spring

Pappy up in da Pollen, 4/29/2006I was walking home from the subway the other day, and I had the distinct sensation of a tiny man straddling my nose. Rhythmically digging in his heels. Wearing spurs.

Yes, pollen counts are through the roof, and at the office every fourth person is calling in sick. Even Pappy isn't unaffected. Yesterday I was sitting on the floor, minding my own business, when Pappy came in from the back yard to have a five-minute face grinding session on my leg and armpit in an effort to gouge out his itchy eyes. My wife has taken to using a wet washcloth to wipe any pollen from his face. I don't know if it does anything, but his eyes haven't turned into bright red beebees so far this year.

7 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

Poor Pappy! Allergy season is the worst! My eyes get all gooey this time of year too! Bummer!

Love ya lots,
Maggie

FleasGang said...

Ahh! We feel your pain Pappy. We're finally over the heavy dumping of pollen here in SC. My red truck is no longer green!

Ferndoggle said...

I love how Jason (from Flea's Gang) described allergy season on his blog:

"I’m jacked-up on Claritin and if I had a red-hot poker I’d gouge out my itchy eyes and shove them up my nose to keep it from running".

Very fitting for Pittsburgh too.

Ferndoggle

Nat said...

Maggie,
Pappy would be happy to share eye goo.

Fleas,
We had a little light rain at the beginning of the week, and when the puddles dried you had these bright yellow pollen patches. Thankfully we're getting some heavy rain today.

Ferndoggle,
Assuming Pittsburgh is a week or two behind DC, you got more coming.

Baily said...

alone reading this makes me all itchy. hope you get through the allergy season ok!

nose licks
~baily

Roxie, Sammy, Andy and Shermie said...

Mom gives us each 12.5 mgs of Benadryl. It really helps. Hope Pappy survives allergy season!

Roxie, Sammy & Andy

Nat said...

Thanks Baily.

Dachsies,
I've been wondering about Benedryl on worse days. And when we need him to go back to bed.